Saturday, April 16, 2011

Shroom Bombs

It's raining, bitter and windy today, so I'm not firing up the grill today. Instead, I figured I would share one of the more requested things that I grill. Many have asked about these.... so here's a quick post on how I make them.

I use medium stuffing mushrooms, after cleaning them off, I remove the stem with a small knife or spoon.

Slice up some pepper-jack cheese into small squares (cheddar works well, too). Slice them so that they fit just right into the mushroom bottom leaving room for the Jalapeno. Place a slice of the cheese into the bottom of the mushroom.

Slice up a Jalapeno pepper into rings and place it into the mushroom, on top of the cheese. The Jalapeno slice should fit snug so feel free to make any necessary cuts to get it to fit just right. Too loose? add another piece of the pepper or the cheese. I prefer fresh small-medium ones more then the big ones.Larger peppers are more sweet then hot. Jarred peppers are fine to use if that's all you got. If you don't like it hot-n-spicy, don't put in the jalapeno.

Take a slice of bacon and completely wrap the mushroom. Start on one side, near the top of the mushroom. Work the bacon down beneath the mushroom and back over the top until it is over the side of the bacon where you started. Next, twist the bacon so that it is perpendicular to the direction of the first wrap of bacon and wrap it around the sides of mushroom, and it should end back on the same side of the bacon.

Use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place (If I'm making both spicy and non-spicy versions together, I'll use two toothpicks in the spicy 'shrooms so that they're easy to tell apart).
 
I grill them on the heating rack with typically medium heat (350°) and it takes about 40-50 minutes depending on where the actual heat source is. You know that they're done when the bacon is firm, or even crispy.







I like to make mine spicy, and if you like increased heat, too, and you have some chipotle in adobo sauce, mince up a couple of the peppers and spoon a small amount with the adobo sauce into the mushrooms. This can also be used instead of the slice of Jalapeno. I haven't worked up the nerve to use a Serrano or Habanero pepper..... yet.

I like to wrap the bacon around the mushroom, as opposed to back over the top and bottom, because it will act as a "rim" and catch any melting cheese or adobo sauce (and rendered bacon fat) and keep it in the mushroom instead of escaping down the sides.


I got this idea from Pit Crew BBQ, click here to see the Youtube video

3 comments:

  1. Cool...thanks man. I'm def going to try this at some point

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything here involves bacon, this does not make me free comfortable...

    Porky Pig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Porky. I had your uncle for a bunch of dinners a couple of years ago.... Sooooo good. You better watch your back.... mmmmm those succulent baby back ribs you have...

    ReplyDelete