Sunday, April 10, 2011

Jerk Chicken 4.10.2011

For today, I decided on grilling up some Jerk Chicken. It's one of our families favorites when it comes to a simple, quick and different chicken dish. You make a paste and rub it all over over the chicken pieces and you want it to marinate the chicken for at least six hours. The below photo shows the ingredients which I always double, plus some Canola Oil to help make the paste.


I love the smell of the Allspice while making the paste.

The jerk-paste covered chicken pieces are in the fridge. They'll get most of the paste wiped off and then they'll be grilled over indirect medium heat at about 350° later today for about 40-50 minutes, which, to me, is the best way to prepare chicken on a grill.... 

I consider this pseudo-barbecuing.



Update: 5:00 PM
Out of the fridge and cleaned off of excess Jerk paste, the chicken pieces are on the grill. First the legs and thighs, then 10 minutes later I put the breasts and wings on. The three legs on the left are plain old beer-can chicken rubbed for my little girls who aren't big fans of the heat that the Habanero peppers pack into the Jerk flavor.


They don't look great at the moment, but the smell
is irresistible around the grill.



Update: 6:00 PM


After 40 minutes on the grill,
the Jerk chicken is ready for dinner.

During the final 5 minutes of cooking time,
I like to flip them to the skin side to get a crispy skin.

Let rest for 5 minutes and then serve!

I used 3-1/2 habanero peppers in the doubled recipe.
The presence of the heat made itself known, but not overwhelmingly intrusive.
It was so good. One of my favorite ways to prepare chicken on the grill.

And yes, there's left overs for tomorrow's lunch.

/*

2 comments:

  1. Nice...I have had this before. But never on the grill. Looking forward to seeing the finished pics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was my special dish when I used to BBQ
    awesome job

    ReplyDelete